8 October 2011

Working on my first Tailored Mens coat.

One of the final project at uni is doing a period tailored Men's coat or jacket.
I have enjoyed the look of the frock coat from around 1880 for some time now and finally get to make one for my boyfriend. (lucky him)
This is the basic design, I must say I have cheated a little in the way of trying to make it loo a bit more modern. Mainly because men these days don't like looking too different and this man has those views too ;)
 The image isn't that great but that is all I have at this point, hopefully I will get to make him a top hat too at some point :)

Then I had the first fitting with a calico Toille, by the way the pattern came from the R.I. Davis book of period mens wear.
 It looks a bit silly really in calico
 But when its your very first its always good to try on cheap fabric before you do the real thing.
Then alterations were done and I cut it in the wool.
My lovely boyfriend lost a bit of weight in between, so I had to do more alterations after this fitting. But that is life.
The things you notice when tailoring something to a person is how they stand and how they are angled.
It's interesting
and so much time can be spent making and studying this field I am not sure you could ever get bored.
 I hope mine turns out okay I am in the finishing stages soon.
 And will put more photo's up when it is done.
until then
enjoy :)

3 comments:

Debi said...

It's looking fabulous! I really love the length and the collars! Can't wait to see it finished!!

Sewingadicta said...

Love the happy face of your boyfriend in the last photo! Maybe he is getting the final look of the jacket and can delight with the luck he has ...

lady A said...

Hahaha, yeah he felt a bit strange in the fitting. I had to have my lecturer assessing and assisting, so everything I did was talked about. Including the fit of the pants, that was a funny moment.
I can't wait to have it finished but there is still lots to do and I have to have it finished by October 31, so expect some more photos soon :)